A good anti-aging or pimple-fighting skin care routine is not complete without exfoliating – a term that refers to the removal of the dead skin cells that accumulate in the outer layer of the skin. There are different methods of exfoliating – mechanical scrubbing with a textured ingredient such as jojoba beads or by using a skin brush; chemical removal with alpha-hydroxy acids; or peeling off with face masks. Some gentle scrubs can be used daily but the more agressive methods, such as masks, should only be used once every 3 days to prevent inflammation.
There are several functions of exfoliation:
- It keeps pores from getting clogged (i.e. pimples) by removing dead skin cells from the surface of the skin.
- It makes skin smooth to create a healthy, youthful appearance.
- It encourages faster cell turnover rate – a process that slows down with aging.
- It helps other products penetrate skin more fully.
- It stimulates blood flow.
Cocoon Apothecary has just introduced a gentle exfoliating facial cleanser that can be used daily. It is a cream cleanser with biodegradable jojoba bead granules. For more information or to purchase this product, visit our website.